No fewer than thirty-five staff of Korle Bu Teaching Hospital has been infected by Covid-19. Reports from say 70% of the staff infected by the virus contracted it in the hospital while the remaining 30% were from external sources beyond the hospital.

The hospital management circulated a note telling staff to stick to Covid-19 guidelines to stay protected. 

“As healthcare providers, it is paramount to learn how to safely live with the virus. It is our duty to minimize our risk of contracting the virus so that we don’t pass it on to a family member or another health worker,” read part of the notice. 

Ghana Health Service (GHS) acknowledges the slow rise in Covid-19 infections in the last month across Greater Accra Region.

Dr, Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, the DG of GHS estimates that there is now a daily average of 44 infections in Ghana. The rise follows a previous decline in the number of cases between March and April.

During a press conference, Dr Aboagye gave a detailed analysis, “Greater Accra Region is witnessing a spike in average Covid cases from 1.3 in April to 44 in June.”

However, the cases were as high as 4,488 in January but dropped to 2,523 the next month with a daily average of about 84 infections. 

The figures dropped further in March to one hundred and fifty-two and then hit thirty-nine in April. The count rose to 399 in May and at the moment stands at 267. 

The DG of GHS further highlighted that the new wave of infection is mostly among children 15 years and under. The GHS is also advising the public to stick to safety guidelines especially the use of masks in closed areas. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.